I am very excited to have the potential to speak at the 18th annual SXSW® Interactive Festival. This unique forum challenges you to envision the future of innovative technology. Featuring five days of compelling presentations from the brightest minds in emerging media and scores of exciting networking events hosted by industry leaders, SXSW Interactive offers an unbeatable line up of special programs showcasing the best new websites, digital projects, wireless applications, video games and startup ideas the community has to offer. From hands-on training to big-picture analysis, SXSW Interactive has become the place to preview of what is unfolding in the world of creative technology. Join us March 2011 for the panels, the parties, the 14th Annual Interactive Awards, SXSW ScreenBurn, the SXSW Trade Show, SXSW Accelerator and, of course, the inspirational experience that only SXSW can deliver.
My presentation would ask and answer: How can we make patient advocacy more like Avatar? Why would we want to?
Thinking about patient participation in healthcare as an immersive 3-D experience instead of a flat 2-D social media experience can transform personal and public advocacy on health and healthcare delivery issues. Patients as makers of healthcare policy, rather than just commenters on the gaps, flaws, and dysfunctions in policy is the next stage of patient advocacy evolution.
• How has the aggregation of patient voices in online communities created platforms for advocacy?
• What is the difference between personal and public advocacy?
• How can we translate online activism into actual policy and systems change?
• What are the barriers, internal and external, to translation of healthcare 2.0 to healthcare 3-D?
• What opportunities are there for patient advocates to influence policy?
Please vote and please join me (fingers crossed) next March in Austin, TX!